Sunday, April 10, 2011
LIttle Girls...........
Ellie, Lucy and I just returned yesterday from our overnight at Camp Tadmor. Ellie went last year, but this was Lucy's first time going. She loved it, and had a great time staying up until midnight! It was cute to watch the girls together, singing, playing games, planning skits, sleeping in their bunks, and meeting new friends! It was just after everyone had crawled into their bunks,and it was quiet in the cabin, when Lucy says, "Mom, we forgot to say our prayers". I was so proud of her for speaking up and reminding me. She was not embarrassed or hesitant, but knew this was our routine and she wanted to have that peace and comfort before going to sleep in a new place of saying her prayers:) She also was at her friends last week, playing the wii when a song came on that she didn't think I'd like. She told her friends mom, and they switched it, but again so proud of her for speaking up and having the confidence to stand up for what is right and speaking up when she is uncomfortable with something! I pray that she will always have that in her:) Ellie called from school to get my approval on a movie they were showing, it was a Christmas movie, I think Shrek or something? I was so blessed that Ellie again, wanted to make sure she should be watching it, and I was so proud of her. We have really worked hard to keep our kids sensitive to the media, and all it portrays and throws at us. We have to be so careful what we watch and what we take into our minds as it slowly shapes what we think and who we become. It is getting harder and harder, and feels like a battle. I am saddened daily as to what I hear kids are exposed to, what they are doing, and how fast they are being forced to grow up. I am reading a book by Dr. James Dobson, called, "Bringing up Girls" and it is a wonderful book. Great practical advice on teaching our children, and knowing what they need, ways to connect with them, and the dangers they face. Surprisingly many parents are pushing their girls to grow up too fast and to be sexualized, younger and younger as they prance around in bikini's and wear make-up earlier and earlier, watch shows about relationships, cell phones, text messaging, facebook, internet......it's right under our nose, yet a lot of parents don't see it. I am grateful for the reminder and awareness of what our daughters need from us, and from me, particularly as their mother................working to teach them, modesty, integrity, morality, manners, respect, perseverance, and virtue. It seems with our world and culture, it gets harder every year, but I know we can make our homes safe and a place of teaching and a feeling of comfort. It is my prayer that as a mother of 3 beautiful daughters, I will be guided to be the mom they need, to speak the right words, and live by example of following God, so they too, can follow Him and find happiness in their lives, not the happiness the world has to offer, but true lasting happiness:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm updating my blog tonight too! :) Your girls are beautiful and you are so right. The media is throwing stuff at them all the time to grow up, and I hate it. Let the little kids enjoy the little kid stuff! Sounds like a fun time camping!
Post a Comment